So heres my recipe for this week! As it was a savoury dish last week and then again this week I'm planning on doing a sweet for next time (involving toffee, bannanas & cream - can anybody say banoffee pie?!) totes lush! anyway we actually had this as well as other things (pizza, garlic bread, chips & salad) as my brother and his fiancee joined us for dinner. It was seriously yummy if I do say so myself and even my brother said he'd eat it again and he doesn't even like aubergines!
So you will have to have in your fridge..
2 tbsp Salt
400g Mozzarella, ripped into pieces
a Jar of tomato passata
a Pinch of pepper
1 Bunch fresh basil, chopped
80g Flaked parmesan
2 tbsp olive oil
Pre-heat oven to 180c/gas mark 5
This recipe takes about an hour and a half.
1. cut the Aubergines into slices about half an inch thick and sprinkle with salt.
2. place the Aubergines on a plate with another plate on top with a weight ontop (I used the tomato passata jar) and leave for half an hour.
3. rince the slices and dry on some kitchen roll.
4. heat the oil in a pan and fry the Aubergine (in batches if you have too).
5. blot the Aubergine to get rid of excess oil then put a third of the slices in a casserole/baking dish.
6. layer the rest of the ingredients: Mozerella, Passata, Salt & Pepper & Parmesan untill you get back to Aubergine, you should be able to make about 3 layers of each.
7. Put the lid on your dish and bake for an hour or in an AGA (as I have) put the dish in the roasting oven for 30 minutes then transfer to the baking oven for a further 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.
Serve with crusty bread and a salad or as a side dish!
p.s. I have a new tag 'ROTW' (Recipe of the Week)